The newsfilter.io API provides two types of APIs: query and stream (live feed)
- The query API requires your client to query our servers to retrieve news articles.
- The stream API (using socket.io) is a push-based feed where new articles are pushed from our servers to your client automatically.
New articles are available to the query and stream API at the same time. Our proprietary algortihms index new articles within 210 milliseconds (median) after publication and identify any US company mentioned in the article in order to tag the article with the corresponding trading symbols.
The query API allows you to search and filter articles in our entire news corpus. Common use cases are
- Hedge funds building their own internal due diligence platform
- Backtesting a quantitative breakout trading strategy using news as catalysts
- Finding the last two 10-Q filings of a company to compare them against the most recently filed 10-Q
- News feed integration into websites or trading/investment chat rooms
Our news corpus contains articles from different sources. The number of available articles depends on the news source and when we started indexing the source.
The stream API provides a live stream (aka feed) of newly published articles. Common use cases are
- A better alternative to brokers' inbuilt news streams
- Quants generating alpha signals in real-time for quantitative trading strategies
- Informing traders and investors in real-time when a new SEC
10-Qfiling is published
- Investment advisers providing their clients with real-time email alerts
You can connect to the streaming server using socket.io or websocket. Once connected, you will receive new articles in JSON format. You can use Python, Node.js, React or any other framework and language supporting socket.io or websocket clients.
Tutorials, request parameters and response formats are described below.